What is Social Emotional Learning?
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is an integral part of education and human development. SEL is the process through which all young people and adults acquire and apply the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to develop healthy identities, manage emotions and achieve personal and collective goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain supportive relationships, and make responsible and caring decisions. 1
The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL) is an organization advancing the promotion of integrated SEL for all children in preschool through high school.
Five Core Competency Areas
CASEL has identified 5 Core Competency Areas that can help prepare students for success:2
- Self-Awareness: Understanding one’s emotions and thoughts
- Self-Management: Handling one’s emotions and thoughts
- Social Awareness: Understanding and empathizing with others, including those with different backgrounds and cultures
- Relationship Skills: Working with and supporting others
- Responsible Decision Making: Using critical thinking skills to make sound decisions
Tài nguyên dành cho Giáo viên và Quản trị viên
Check out these additional resources to learn more about the CASEL SEL framework and how to implement this in your school:
Tài nguyên cho Gia đình
Check out these additional resources to learn more about supporting and developing your child’s social emotional skills:
Người giới thiệu
- Bộ Giáo dục Hoa Kỳ. Tuyên bố chính sách về sự gắn kết của gia đình từ những năm đầu đến lớp đầu. Washington, DC: Bộ Y tế và Dịch vụ Nhân sinh Hoa Kỳ; 2016. https://www2.ed.gov/about/inits/ed/earlylearning/files/policy-statement-on-family-engagement.pdf. Truy cập ngày 8 tháng 4 năm 2021.
- What is SEL? (2021). Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning website. https://casel.org/what-is-sel/. Truy cập ngày 8 tháng 4 năm 2021.